Saturday, January 3, 2009

Retightening #3 December 2008




I retightened about 2 weeks ago, but didn't take pictures until today. I was way overdo for a session--I was at a conference in DC and intended to do it in the evenings, but my luggage was lost for two days!

I retightened a couple last night because I had some slippage. For my second retightening, I thought I might have retightened too much. My head hurt til they loosened up some in a couple days. So this time, I didn't tighten as much as I could have. I think I actually undertightened. Thus the need, just two weeks later, to retighten some again.

So, I am working on finding the right balance. I am also joining some of my braids/locks. After 3 months, I think some are just too small, especially given my hair texture.

I am beginning to wonder if it would have been better to interlock my hair (or have Sisterlocks installed), instead of starting with braids. I would have still gone to DIY. But the braided part of my hair won't lock, so I will eventually have to cut it. I did this with my first set of locks. I started with much bigger braids, though (only had about 100 on my head). Once my dreads were shoulder length, I cut the braid part off. It just looked really weird, especially after the dreads got to that mature, swollen stage. I don't think I'll wait til my hair grows out that much!

Another thing I am struggling with is the time it takes to retighten. When I had traditional locks, I washed my hair every couple weeks and spent only about an hour twisting the new growth with some lock gel. Retightening takes a lot more time. This last session took me about 8 hours. I think I may take some time every week to tighten, if I can manage it. We will see.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Toki,

    Braidlocs do take a bit longer to lock at the braided end and with your very loose curl pattern, you will have to be patient!

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming along quite fine. TAG you're it. See my page for the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments docs locs. i am trying to be patient, but it is hard! if you see my newest post, i am much happier with my lastest re-tightening.

    hope the new year is off to a good start for you!

    ReplyDelete