Friday, September 19, 2008

Shift in My Thinking


I haven't posted pics yet because I haven't had time to download them. I'll try to get to it soon. The test locks were cool. More on that later. (I added this picture, which was taken just 3 months before I cut my hair. The girl next to me is my daughter, who cut her dreads the previous Spring.)

I do have an update though. I think I have decided not to do Sisterlocks. Sisterlocks look really awesome, but are really expensive to get and maintain. I have been really struggling with whether I want to make that $$ commitment. Despite what you may believe, PhDs don't make a lot of money. And when you add student loan payments to the mix--do I need to go on?

So, I think I will do what I did when I started my dreds before--braids. When I started my dreds ten years ago, I put my hair in a bunch of single braids, then just started twisting it as it grew out. But, my dreds ended up being pretty thick and got really heavy, especially the last two years I had them in. My hair grows pretty fast, and even with cutting it regularly--every 6 months I would hack off about 6 inches (no I am not exaggerating)--it was thinning from the weight and regular twisting.

So as I am thinking about all of this, I hear from the consultant that put in my test locks. She had some surgery on her hand and will not be able to do anybody's hair for about a month. That was my sign that I should reconsider.

This time around, I will start with much smaller braids--micro braids. This will give me the versatility I am looking for without the expense. And, I can continue being in control of my own hair!

Now I just need to get motivated to get braiding....

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am disappointed that we won't be sisterlocked together but we're still sisters :)
    My lock installation is set for Friday evening and all day Saturday. I will be adding pics as we go to check it out www.drlocs.blogspot.com

    I am looking forward to seeing how your braidlocs turn out. You want to fly out and let me braid you up? Or you want to take a quick Californiacation and mom and I will take shifts?
    Luv ya,
    - Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Dr Locs.

    After I got sisterlocks, I developed a greater love and and appreciation for traditional locs.

    Yours will look great.

    [They must be charging a lot for sisterlocks where you live!]

    ReplyDelete